The holidays have come and gone, but winter is still here. Between the blistering cold outside and the heat blasting inside, it is a must to keep skin hydrated and radiant. Here are a few tips to protect your skin from the most savage winter weather.
1. Exfoliate: Exfoliation is needed because dry skin build up can prevent moisturizers from penetrating. This step helps your moisturizer to absorb better.
2. Moisturize: Your face is subject to lose more moisture during the winter than the rest of your body because it is exposed the most. Moisturizing your skin with one that fits your needs will help retain moisture and make you look more radiant.
3. Use a humidifier: There's nothing like being in a nice cozy home when it's cold. But the inside heat can also rob your skin of its moisture. Keep the temperature comfortable, but not too hot for too long. Use a humidifier to replace lost indoor moisture.
4. Take care of your hands: Your hands have the thinnest skin on your body and they are usually exposed just as much as your face. Keep them moisturized by using a moisturizing hand cream and wear gloves.
5. Avoid wool and other irritating materials: Wearing wool, nylon or polyester can make your dry, itchy skin worse. The best material for you to wear is cotton. If you have to wear wool, wear a light one like merino wool. It's less irritating. Or you can opt to wear a cotton shirt underneath.
By LaCrecia Steward
THE EYES HAVE IT!
This holiday season there's nothing sexier than a smokey eye. Just like a bold red lip color, it demands attention! And creating a seductive (wink-worthy) look is easier than you think if you follow these steps.
1. Using your ring finger tip, apply a good primer to your eyelid.
2. Apply a neutral shade (close to your skin tone) on your entire eyelid, using an all over shadow brush.
3. Apply dark grey eyeshadow on your brow bone. Blend just right above the crease of your eye. This shade will make the blending between the black shades much smoother.
4. Using your darkest black eyeliner, line your eyelid and blend everything out.
5. Apply a black matte eye shadow using a flat brush. Blend some more, using a blending brush. Clean up any excess shadow with concealer so it won't smudge.
6. Add a pop of glitter on the center of your eyelid.
7. Line your waterline with black eyeliner. Using a small smudge brush, apply grey and black eye shadow below the waterline and blend. Highlight inner corners.
8. Finish with two coats of mascara, a pair of your favorite lashes and there you have it! A classic smokey eye!
Although this is the most common, a smokey eye can be created with any shade, but remember, BLENDING along with using the proper tools is the key.
By LaCrecia Steward
For years fashion has been a part of lifestyle. It never stays the same. There are new trends and styles emerging everyday in the fashion world. In most cases, people tend to follow the latest fashion trend in order to keep up with today's society.
Sometimes an individual is judged from their style. A style represents what type of person someone is inside and out. It may also represent what kind of group they belong to. Are you wondering how? Well, we can say that someone belongs to the 'edgy group' by looking at their chosen outfits, shoes, jewelry, hair accessories, etc.
The four seasons in the year should dictate some of your style. With each season you should be prepared to dress differently according to the weather. Here are some examples for setting up proper clothing for each season.
January through March (November and December included) - Down jacket or coat. Enough protection against the cold is necessary. Scarf and gloves are must haves.
April and May - Jacket and sweaters, long sleeve shirts. Depending on the days, it is better to have a light jacket or cardigan.
June through August- Half sleeve shirts are enough to wear as far as tops.
September and October - Half sleeve shirts during the day time hours. Temperatures are lower early morning and at night so adjust accordingly.
Remember, with fashion anything goes. If you are someone who just needs the basic formula always start out with three colors. Use the third color to be an added piece to accent your attire. For example, try a basic white shirt with a black skirt complemented by a gold belt.
Your confidence will always complete your attire.
Be bold, be beautiful, be you!
By Toni Lyons
The Perfect Red Lips
It's hard to believe how fast the holidays are approaching! Family gatherings, potlucks at the job, Ugly Sweater parties, and the hustle and bustle of gift shopping will have everyone busy. But one thing's for sure, you will want your holiday makeup to be on point, and the perfect red lip is sure to turn heads! Here's a few tips on how to achieve it.
1. Exfoliate to smooth your lips and reduce crevices. There are some great lip balms available, but my favorite lip treatment is the 2 step Satin Lips Lip Mask by Mary Kay.
2. Moisturize your lips with a super moisturizing lip balm, as they tend to be a little drier during winter months. Apply the rest of your makeup as it soaks in.
3. Remove the balm and pat your lips completely dry.
4. Apply a little translucent setting powder to your lips. This prevents bleeding outside the lip line and makes the lipstick really stick.
5. Line your lips with a skin toned lip pencil. IT Cosmetics, Your Lips But Better, Nyx Cosmetics Lip Pencil in Nude and MAC Lip Pencil in Spice are just a few popular liners. Be sure to find one that matches your lip color.
6. Apply lipstick to the center of your lips as well as the outer corners and bottom lip. Blot and fill in the rest.
7. Use a small brush or your ring finger to apply a little translucent powder then LIGHTLY repeat step 6. This step will help your lipstick last all day and night. 8. Apply a concealer to clean up any areas if needed. You can use a concealer brush or a q-tip. Now you have pucker perfect lips! So pucker up!!
By LaCrecia Steward
Top 5 Red Lipsticks
1. Makeup Forever Artist Rouge Lipstick-Holiday Kiss Collection (Sephora)
2. Saint Laurent Rouge Pur Coutoure Lipstick (Neiman Marcus)
3. Lancôme Color Design Lipstick (Macy's)
4. NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil Cruella (Sephora)
5. NARS Lipstick Jungle Red (Sephora)
Makeup costs the average woman hundreds of dollars annually, and in her lifetime, she will spend $15,000 on makeup alone. That doesn't include other feminine products she MUST have! That's a lot of money invested just to doll yourself up on occasions because most women only do the basic everyday light foundation, mascara and lip gloss or lipstick.
So to get your dollars worth, here's a few tips on when to toss and clean out your makeup kit.
By Makeup Consultant LaCrecia Steward
To conceal or not to conceal? For those of you that apply your own makeup and do the works, here's a little secret about concealer. (Go ahead, tell your best friend while your having lunch why you look so flawless!) Apply foundation before concealer. If you don't, you will remove your base product. Then 'bake' your face by applying a translucent powder (letting it sit for about 20 minutes) and dust it off with a fan brush. Voila!!! A flawless finish!
By Makeup Consultant LaCrecia Steward
Laying The Foundation
Now that you've picked your foundation, here is a tip on how to apply it. Always apply your foundation at the center of your face and blend out. It gives you a more natural look because it fades out around the edges of your face and doesn't create a "line" along your jawline. Also, apply it with a blending sponge in a circular motion to create a more smooth and pore less look.
By LaCrecia Steward- Makeup Consultant
Need more makeup tips?
There are a few things to consider when choosing the right foundation. Your skin type( dry, oily, normal or combination), the desired coverage you want (sheer, medium, full) and skin tone (fair, medium, medium deep, deep, very deep). Based on your skin type and desired finish (matte, radiant or natural) you can select a foundation that best fits your needs. Once you determine the key things I've stated, choose 3 shades that appear to be close to your skin tone. Test them along your jawline and the shade that disappears is the best shade match. Foundation is all about creating a smooth and consistent color throughout your face and neck.
By LaCrecia Steward
We want your feedback!
The quest for healthy skin! Use warm water and a mild anti-bacterial soap to clean your brushes, laying flat to dry to avoid any warping that can happen. Don't over-wash your face. Though clean skin leads to clear skin, washing too vigorously or too often can irritate skin and do more harm than good.
Here are a list of home products that can help you achieve clear and healthy skin!
Lemon: Apply to skin and let sit for 15 - 20 minutes. Rinse with warm water.
Turmeric Powder: A bright yellow powder mainly used because of it's immunity boosting and anti- oxidant properties.
Aloe Vera: Aloe vera is used on facial tissues where it is promoted as a moisturiser and anti-irritant to reduce chafing of the nose.
Baking Soda: Can be used for a facial wash. Mix with warm water to create a paste.
Cucumber: Vitamin C and caffeic acid, which both fight to reduce inflamed or irritated skin , and hydration thanks to its high water content. The peel itself contains silica, which firms up sagging skin.
By K. Graves
Reference: Top 10 home remedies, Wikipedia
The whole point of enhancing eyebrows should consist of looking natural. We found a helpful video which gives an interesting do it yourself tutorial.
View Woman blog
WE EDUCATE AND EMPOWER WOMEN!