Cooking for someone is a nurturing activity that shows you care.
It is best to plan a simple no-fail meal to ensure all goes well...
Need more recipes?
CREAMY CHICKEN AND BROCCOLI CASSEROLE
- 1 (16 ounce) package rotini pasta, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups broccoli florets, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon chipotle chile powder (optional)
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup onion, finely diced
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 cup sour cream (optional)
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add rotini pasta and cook until al dente, 7 to 10 minutes. Drain, cover, and set aside until needed.Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat, and stir in 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add 1 cup broccoli; toss and cook just until tender, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle broccoli with flour, and cook 1 minute. Stir in the chicken broth, and bring to a boil. Pour in the milk, and stir to blend. Season with salt, pepper, and chipotle pepper powder, if desired. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer mixture until sauce thickens, 8 to 10 minutes. Mix in 1 cup Cheddar cheese and stir until melted. Remove from heat.Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in another large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the onion, ground chicken, and remaining 1 cup of broccoli. Cook and stir until chicken is evenly browned and no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Reduce heat, and cook until liquid is reduced, about 5 minutes.Preheat oven broiler to High. Lightly grease 9x13 inch baking dish.Toss the pasta with the broccoli sauce until evenly blended. Stir in the sour cream, if desired. Stir the broccoli sauce mixture into the chicken mixture. Spoon into the prepared baking dish. Top with remaining 1 cup Cheddar cheese.Cook under preheated broiler until cheese melts and browns around the edges, 3 to 5 minutes.
CRISPY HERB BAKED CHICKEN
- 2/3 cup dry potato flakes
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 (3 pound) chicken, skin removed, cut into pieces
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- Add all ingredients to list
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease or line with foil a baking sheet or a 13 x 9 inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine potato flakes, Parmesan cheese, and garlic salt. Stir until well mixed.
- Dip chicken pieces into melted butter or margarine, and roll in potato flake mixture to coat. Place in prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, or until chicken is tender and golden brown.
SOPAPILLA CHEESECAKE PIE
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon Mexican vanilla extract
- 2 (8 ounce) cans refrigerated crescent rolls
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup honey
- reheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Prepare a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Beat the cream cheese with 1 cup of sugar and the vanilla extract in a bowl until smooth.
- Unroll the cans of crescent roll dough, and use a rolling pin to shape each piece into 9x13 inch rectangles. Press one piece into the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Evenly spread the cream cheese mixture into the baking dish, then cover with the remaining piece of crescent dough. Stir together 3/4 cup of sugar, cinnamon, and butter. Dot the mixture over the top of the cheesecake.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the crescent dough has puffed and turned golden brown, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and drizzle with honey. Cool completely in the pan before cutting into 12 squares.
Affordable Dinner Wines..
- 2012 Murphy-Goode Merlot, Calif. (97 percent merlot, 3 percent cabernet sauvignon): hint of oak, aromas and flavors of black cherries and black pepper, full body, firm tannins; $15.
- 2013 Makara Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, New Zealand (100 percent sauvignon blanc): aromas and flavors of white grapefruit and gooseberries, crisp and lively; $14.
- 2013 Ecco Domani Pinot Grigio delle Venezie IGT (87 percent pinot grigio, 13 percent chardonnay): light, crisp and fruity, with aromas and flavors of lemons and peaches; $12.
- 2013 Light Horse Pinot Noir, Napa Valley (100 percent pinot noir): aromas and flavors of red raspberries, licorice and spice, medium body; $15.
- 2012 Coltibuono "Cetamura" Chianti DOCG (sangiovese): light-bodied and young, with aromas and flavors of tart cherries and mocha, light, smooth tannins; $11.
- Nonvintage Mionetto Prosecco Brut, DOC Treviso (100 percent glera): mildly fizzy, aromas and flavors of ripe apricots and green apples; $14.
- 2012 Carnivor Cabernet Sauvignon, California (100 percent cabernet sauvignon): deep purple, aromas and flavors of black cherries and mocha, full-bodied, ripe; $15.