Cooking for someone is a nurturing activity that shows you care.
SUNSET RUM PUNCH
- crushed ice
- 1 1/2 fluid ounces spiced rum (such as Kraken®)
- 1 fluid ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 fluid ounce freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 fluid ounce freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- 3/4 fluid ounce white rum (such as Captain Morgan™)
- 3/4 fluid ounce dark rum (such as Myers's®)
- 3/4 fluid ounce hibiscus syrup
- 3/4 fluid ounce almond orgeat syrup (such as Torani®)
- 1 slice orange
- 1 maraschino cherry
- Combine crushed ice, spiced rum, lime juice, orange juice, grapefruit juice, white rum, dark rum, hibiscus syrup, and almond syrup in a cocktail shaker. Cover and shake until the outside of the shaker has frosted.
- Fill a tiki mug with crushed ice. Strain cocktail over ice. Garnish with orange slice and maraschino cherry.
Boozy Mai Tai Pops
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1/2 cup pineapple orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1/2 cup limeade concentrate, thawed
- 8 pineapple tidbits
- 4 maraschino cherries, halved
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- 3 tablespoons light rum
- Heat sugar and 1/2 cup water in a saucepan over low heat; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in almond extract.
- Pour pineapple orange concentrate and limeade concentrate into a large pitcher; stir in 1 1/2 cups water. Stir in dark rum, light rum, and almond simple syrup.
- Place 1 pineapple tidbit and 1 maraschino cherry half in the bottom of each ice pop mold. Pour in rum mixture and freeze for at least 12 hours.
Tamarind Agua Fresca
- 6 cups water
- 1/3 cup tamarind concentrate
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 orange, thinly sliced
- 1 lime, thinly sliced
Fill glasses with ice. Combine water, tamarind concentrate, and sugar in a pitcher; stir until sugar is dissolved. Pour over ice and garnish with orange and lime slices.
Affordable Dinner Wines..
- 2012 Murphy-Goode Merlot, Calif. (97 percent merlot, 3 percent cabernet sauvignon): hint of oak, aromas and flavors of black cherries and black pepper, full body, firm tannins; $15.
- 2013 Makara Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, New Zealand (100 percent sauvignon blanc): aromas and flavors of white grapefruit and gooseberries, crisp and lively; $14.
- 2013 Ecco Domani Pinot Grigio delle Venezie IGT (87 percent pinot grigio, 13 percent chardonnay): light, crisp and fruity, with aromas and flavors of lemons and peaches; $12.
- 2013 Light Horse Pinot Noir, Napa Valley (100 percent pinot noir): aromas and flavors of red raspberries, licorice and spice, medium body; $15.
- 2012 Coltibuono "Cetamura" Chianti DOCG (sangiovese): light-bodied and young, with aromas and flavors of tart cherries and mocha, light, smooth tannins; $11.
- Nonvintage Mionetto Prosecco Brut, DOC Treviso (100 percent glera): mildly fizzy, aromas and flavors of ripe apricots and green apples; $14.
- 2012 Carnivor Cabernet Sauvignon, California (100 percent cabernet sauvignon): deep purple, aromas and flavors of black cherries and mocha, full-bodied, ripe; $15.