Hi everyone! I have some wonderful news. Your dreams and goals are possible!
My friends and I are a part of a girl's self-esteem group at school. One of our many projects is mentoring young middle school girls every week. This past week, I was in charge of our activities and meeting. We played an M&M game where each color represented a different thing to be proud of or a goal to achieve. While playing the game, one of the girls expressed how she wanted to be a singer and that it had been special to her heart since she was young. She also wanted to win Grammy's. However, she quickly combated herself by bringing up nerves, other people's opinions on her voice, and a past negative experience. Once she finished speaking I smiled at her and asked for her autograph. I then went into a very long speech. I began with how possible her dreams are.
Your dreams are possible. I'll prove it to you with my testimony. I used to be incredibly shy and I fed off of this idea that anything good in my life was impossible. Contrary to my thoughts, God was putting everything in the right place. All my dreams were very much possible. I simply had to believe in them. Once I realized I had the potential to fulfill my dreams, I began to believe in them. I had to strengthen my faith and watch the possibilities unfold. Here are some ways that YOU can strengthen your belief and unlock the possibilities:
1. First, I wrote the vision and made it plain. I want to be an actress, so on paper, I physically wrote "I am a successful actress," and a list of awards. Right now, I want you to write your goal or dream on a piece of paper, and place it on your wall. Seeing that everyday will motivate you to keep going. It creates a feeling of, "I want the words on this paper to be a reality."
2. Learn! We will NEVER stop learning! In order to get to your goal you've got to train and learn. I'm taking acting classes and other creative skill-building classes to prepare me for my dream. You have to get ready for the greatness coming your way. Prepare for your goal by taking classes and doing research.
3. Surround yourself with positive, uplifting people. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is that you enter your goal free of stressful people. It's not easy to instantly notice when someone is hurting your future. Take time to observe the people in your circle. If they constantly tear you down or you feel miserable after interacting with them, take a step back. Assess the situation and decide whether or not it can be fixed before tapping into your dreams. If it cannot, you have to be strong and let go through love. Positive people will keep you on track and in the right mindset. When I asked the student for her autograph, I wanted her to get a sense of her success.
4. Crush your comfort zone! Try new things and expand your knowledge. This goes hand in hand with learning. If you approach things with an attitude of, "I am going to know more than I did before, and I can use it to my advantage," you will be less nervous and life won't seem like a chore.
5. Most importantly, do not hold on to negative opinions. I've witnessed too many people give up because of what someone has said about them. I've even given up in the past based on an opinion. Here's the thing about humans; we always have an opinion and it won't ever be the same as everyone else's. Also, no matter what you do, people will have something to say about it. If you feel in your heart that your decision is going to contribute to your future and potentially help others around you, close out those negative words.
The results will blow your mind. I've come from a shy girl with little hope to a beautiful young woman who's living her dreams. I will be flying to Los Angeles in July to stand face to face with my goal and conquer it. You have a handful of possibilities! Believe in them, put them to work, and conquer them!
Sending out extra positive vibes, I challenge you to believe in your dreams and get to work in making them happen. God bless you all and I will talk to you next week!
¨I am determined to be cheerful and happy in whatever situation I may find myself. For I have learned that the greater part of our misery or unhappiness is determined not by our circumstance but by our disposition.¨ ~Martha Washington Stresses of life and individual responsibility have been latching onto me as I slowly approach my final days of high school. It was like trying to find the exit in a dark house of mirrors. One night I told my mom that I was ¨tired of everything.¨ I then went on to complain about a lot of things. Half of them didn't even make sense. Naturally, my mother gave me some epic advice. She told me to be happy and do what I need to do. I was thinking that there would be some complicated way to achieve these two things, but there wasn't. It was a quick and easy choice like flicking a light switch. I thought back to the times when I chose to be upset about a situation and how much harder it was to be mad.
Now whenever I face an upsetting situation, I take a deep breath and choose to be happy either before complaining or midway. Happiness is your choice! Do not let the negativity in the world overtake you. Choosing happiness will cause your circumstance to seem less overbearing. If you complain and allow it to bother you, the situation will get worse. It takes more energy to be upset. Decide today that you are determined to be happy no matter what. Sending out positive vibes, I challenge you to let your happiness outweigh your circumstance! Stay positive!
Written by Kaci Hollingsworth