Don't pull up your stockings in public. Do wear color near your face. Do soften the hard lines of a suit with a lace top underneath. Don't wear sweaters so long that they make you look short. Do borrow your husband's clothes. Don't wear acid-washed jeans. Cropped pants can make you look shorter. Do wear a hipslip or minimizer under tight clothes. Do have a stash of basics on hand: T-shirts, leggings, black socks and tights. Patterned leggings can make legs look heavier. Monochromatic outfits are one of the best slimming secrets there is. Don't overaccessorize.
Lies, Lies, Lies * Nice girls don't wear white after Labor Day. * You shouldn't wear suede shoes in summer or patent leather in winter. * Handbags have to match your outfit. * Black is boring. * If you wear two pieces that are both navy, the colors have to match. (It's all but impossible.) Elements of Style
* Try something that's "not you" once in a while.
* Adapt trends so that they work for you--and adapt is the key word
here. A plaid minikilt isn't for everyone, for example. But if you love
the look, try a longer plaid skirt.
* Hold on to a few of your favorite outdated pieces. You never know!
* Add a couple of stylish, inexpensive things to your wardrobe each season.
10 Must-Haves For Fall
(To Buy or Dig Out from Your Closet)
1. White blouse
2. One perfect dress
3. A pleated or A-line skirt
4. Boots--tall or short
5. A mohair sweater--yes, they're back
6. Anything plaid
7. A pea coat in navy or black
8. A short, fitted blazer or a long, tailored style
9. Tapered trousers
10. Pretty pastels--a jacket, sweater, skirt or all of the above
View Woman blog
WE EDUCATE AND EMPOWER WOMEN!